Friday, March 6, 2009

More Adventures in Gelatin – Sunset Salad

 

I’ve been long over due for another Jell-O creation so I made one yesterday. We planned on actually eating this one so I didn’t want to go too over the top like some in my original plan. So Sunset Salad it is!

The Original:

IMG_0032

Sunset Salad from Joys of Jello:

1 package (3oz) Lemon or Orange-Pineapple Jell-O (I used Orange)

1/2 tsp salt (easy on this)

1 1/2 cups boiling water

1 can (8 3/4 oz) crushed pineapple or pineapple tidbits

1 Tbs lemon juice

1 cup coarsely grated carrots

1/3 cup chopped pecans (I used walnuts)

Dissolve Jell-O Gelatin and salt in boiling water. Add undrained pineapple and lemon juice. Chill until very thick. Then fold in carrot and pecans. Pour into individual molds or a 1 quart mold. Chill until firm.

Mine:

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA         I used individual molds, very cute! I only had enough time to snap a few pics before the crowd demanded their dessert so I didn’t get a chance for a better presentation or garnish.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

(doesn’t it look like a sea-creature?)

It wasn’t too bad! The initial flavor was bland to us but after a few bites you could taste the flavors and the textures were nice. I really like the bit of crunch that the nuts provided and you barely noticed the carrot. A dollop of CoolWhip would have gone well with it (not homemade…the airy sweet stuff!).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I had planned on making a lime flavored Jell-O for green week but it just didn’t pan out. We wanted a bit of sunshine! 

For my next adventure I’m getting into television!

IMG_0062