Sunday, March 15, 2009

Adventures in Gelatin – Pineapple Cheese Dessert

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

More Jell-O! This time I wanted to make one we’d actually eat, so I didn’t go over the top. Here is the inspiration photo from the 1950’s classic, Joys of Jello.

IMG_0023

Look closely, it’s the tiny wedge of yellow in the middle. I made this one partly because I wanted to try the no-bake graham cracker crust. Yum! And so easy too! A simple mixture of graham crackers, sugar and butter. Press into pie plate and chill until firm. Here’s the rest.

*Pineapple Cheese Dessert*

Crumb Crust

1 can (8 3/4oz) crushed pineapple

1 package (3 oz) Jell-O, orange-pineapple or lemon (you won’t find the orange pineapple)

1 1/4 c boiling water

1 package (3 oz) softened cream cheese

1/4  tsp grated orange or lemon rind

3 T sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 cup sour cream

Buy or prepare 9” crumb crust. Drain pineapple, reserving syrup. Dissolve Jell-O in boiling water. Add syrup; cool slightly. Meanwhile. blend cream cheese, rind, sugar and vanilla.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Combine 1/2 cup gelatin and the pineapple and set aside. Gradually blend remaining gelatin into cheese mixture until smooth. Fold in sour cream. Pour into Crumb Crust. Chill until set but not firm (1-2 hours).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Carefully spoon on pineapple. Chill until firm. -

It was yummy! One of my favorites so far. Although I’ve realized that making desserts to eat really inhibits my garnishing and photo taking. No one wants to wait while I mess with the food!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I want to make something awe-inspiring so the next one will be grotesque I promise!