Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Jell-o part 2 – Success!

 

After yesterday’s rather entertaining disappointment, this one was a delightful success. Here is my inspiration photo. The mold I had that matched best was too large (my collection is still modest) so I chose one that was the proper volume.

bavarian close up

This is a basic Bavarian – Jello to which dairy is added (usually whipped cream and sometimes cream cheese).

Here is the recipe from Joys of Jello:

*Basic Bavarian*

  • 1 package (3 oz) Jell-O Gelatin, any flavor
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • 3/4 cup cold water or fruit juice
  • 1 cup whipping cream

Dissolve Jell-O and sugar in boiling water. Add cold water. Chill until slightly thickened. Prepare the whipped cream; stir 1 1/2 cups into gelatin until well blended. Pour into a 1 quart mold (about 4 cups) or serving dishes. Chill until firm, about 4 hours. Garnish with remaining whipped cream.  ***

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Easy! This can also be poured into a pie crust. I was very happy with this one and I dressed it up a bit for some Valentine’s Day flair.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I don’t add the extra fruit juice and I minimally sweeten the whipped cream. These desserts are so sweet already and adults are more likely to eat some if doesn’t taste so candy-like.

I was very excited to bring this over to my step-father as he loves Jello desserts but…how do you transport something like this??

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

So now my gelid pride and joy sits in the fridge, drying out with no one to eat it (I still have yesterday’s experiment to consume don’t forget).

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I guess I’ll consider it a little present to myself every time I open the fridge. For me?? What a surprise! Or maybe I’ll see if it’ll hold up until my husband returns at the end of the week.

Since I couldn’t transport this one I’m going to make another for my step father – a tall Crown Jewel Dessert! I’m bringing my camera!