Monday, June 1, 2009

First Harvest

May here in Washington was the wettest on record for 30-something years.  My garden doesn’t get a whole lot of sun so everything in the garden was off to a very slow start. But these last few weeks of sunshine have done wonders!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Everything is still pretty small and I can barely get enough salad greens for two but, look! These spicy little gems seem to have plumped up over night! I’m so glad to finally harvest something. The expanse of dirt is finally more green than brown as everything leafs out.

Home grown greens are so flavorful I find that my salads have gone very spartan in order to appreciate all the flavors. I usually make huge chef’s salads with up to 10 ingredients. Now they only have 2 or 3 and they are ever so much more delicious!

I look forward to tonight’s salad with great anticipation! Fresh arugula, spinach, romaine, red and green leaf lettuces and my radishes! I’ll top it all off with my homemade garlic-parmesan croutons, mmmmm. Care to join me?