Monday, January 26, 2009

The Mighty Meat Loaf

It's been mighty chilly in my neck of the woods and comfort food sounds awfully good. And what's more comforting than meat loaf? While going through more vintage cookbooks I came across the Better Homes & Gardens Meat Cook Book (1967).

I love the BH&G cookbooks. They are always lavishly illustrated with graphics and photos. I can't wait to add more to my collection! But let's get back to the meat of the post. shall we?
There is a whole chapter on ground meat amd meat loaves. And not just beef. They also desecrate ham, veal and lamb! This photo has so much going on it's hard to focus. Oh where to start? The colorful and tangy chili-sauce topped Twin Meat Loaves? Or perhaps the traditional Favorite Beef Loaf with herbed tomatoes? No, I think the Glazed Ham-loaf Ring takes the cake. Er, loaf.


I won't list the entire recipe for each loaf but I must share some of the highlights. The "chili-sauce topper" on the Twin Loaves is complicated- roll loaves in bread crumbs and dump hot sauce on it. What technique!

The Favorite Beef-Loaf is a traditional recipe with one secret ingredient no longer found in modern kitchens. Good old monosodium glutamate. Mmmm, MSG.

The show-stopping Glazed Ham-loaf Ring is first glazed in a sweet and sour sauce, then drizzled with a zippy mustard sauce (vinegar, egg and mayo)!

Now get out there and make a mighty meat loaf! Your family will hate you for it!