Saturday, May 16, 2009

Vintage embroidery

I meant to include some of this with National Apron Day but didn’t get the pictures done in time.

Like my apron collection, I have inadvertently ended up with a large stash of textiles. Ok, I confess lately I have been looking for them when I hit yard sales and thrift shops but I don’t consider myself a collector.

For Mother’s Day I took my mother yard sale-ing and while there weren’t many, the ones we hit were good. At one small sale there was one small basket of embroidered linens. It was $8 for what looked like 8-10 pieces but I didn’t really look closely. A bargain at any rate. Here are just a few examples;

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

What a find! Not just because of the embroidery, which is lovely and well done but because of the edging.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I have just learned how to crochet so I can appreciate the amount of time, energy and care that went into this but I think everyone can see that just one napkin would take ages, let alone a whole set!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

It makes my head and fingers ache just looking at it!

Also in this bunch was this adorable apron;

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I have never seen such fine needlework. Look how tiny and neat those stitches are! I’m so in love!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

But this find also makes me a little sad. Someone worked that hard only to end up in a half-rate yard sale for less than a buck. It breaks my heart actually. So i thought they deserved another life. To be shared and enjoyed by others who can admire all that hard work and TLC!

I have many more pictures of many more linens on Flickr. Please enjoy them. Use them as reference or inspiration for your own needlework projects. Or just wonder in amazement why anyone would put so much work into that little thing.

Some of the more well worn and torn items I hope to someday turn into something lovely like Primrose Designs does here. But in the meantime, until a worthy project arises, I’m having a wonderful time rescuing and sharing my finds!