Monday, May 11, 2009

National Apron Day

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

In celebration of National Apron Day I thought I’d share a bit of my collection. I have been making my own aprons for a while now but never intended to collect vintage ones. That happened by accident. People give them to me! I have never gone out of my way to purchase a vintage apron. I have bought lots (as in a batch sale) of textiles that have included an apron or two. Here are a few favorites.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

You can’t see it very well but it’s a kitten (on the pocket) playing with a ball of string.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

The red apron is made of a quartered handkerchief and sheer organdy. So sweet!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Another apron of sheer organdy. I love how the pocket is faced with the same fruit fabric and folded over. Nice detail.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

This orange apron is one of a batch a friend gave me. All are gingham of different sizes embellished with cross stitching and pulled thread. They are some of my favorites.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I still can’t figure out how the pockets were put together on this one. They are very cleverly pieced.

I adore apron patterns but many are collectible priced quite high. I’ve paid as much a $12 for one I couldn’t live without (I’ve seen some for $35! Eek!). The one on the far left I got this weekend for five cents.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA          

I adore the pattern on the far left! It may be the $12 one. The points are sweet little pockets. In fact, I have made a few of them to sell!

farm5

half harl 1

pink grn front

I hope to soon add aprony links so if you collect, make, blog or Flickr aprons share them and/or leave a link!