Saturday, January 23, 2010

Inspiration and galvanization

First off, I want to say I’m not one of “those” people. I’m not one of those uber-eco folks whose blood runs green and who lectures others when they eat meat or throw something away that could be recycled. I’m just a regular gal who wants to be a little more involved in my little town and to eat fresh, yummy food that’s safe and unmodified. I’m finally ready to get off my ass and do something.

Scare yourself in to action! (ie, educate yourself)

I like to make educated, informed decisions. I read a lot. I watch movies and documentaries. I love research and enjoy exploring certain subjects. The following books inspired me, and the film scared me into action. There are many, many more out there but I think these 3 are great primers and introductions to examining food, and how it is grown or manufactured (when I get a third column added to this blog I will create a list of many more).

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

I enjoy most of Pollan’s books. I was dubious about this one because the premise doesn’t really sound like a whole books worth of writing. It is. He is a very accessible writer and lovely to read. Here he addresses, among other things, the problem with adding nutrients to manufactured, processed food, and the ramifications of eating such. It all makes such perfect sense!

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver

Kingsolver’s family moves to a farm and elects to feed themselves solely on what they grow or can trade from other farms. Written in monthly chapters it’s not only a beautiful read but quite helpful as a primer for doing it yourself. For example what will you do with surpluses of food in the summer? How will you get through the lean winter months?

Food, Inc

This film is a great, gentle introduction into how our food has been changed and manipulated. There are many others out there that go in to more detail or try to terrify you but this one is just an all around great eye-opener. Personally I think it should be shown in classrooms. Most people have no idea how little food is in our “food”. If this doesn’t make you think more about growing your own non-gmo food or shopping at your local farmers market, I don’t know what will.

There is a new small film out called Fresh that I have yet to see (limited release). This film focuses on action – what you can do about the very things Food, Inc brings up. I’d love to hear from anyone who’s seen it.

There you have it. My new direction and basis for what I feel should be the new Home Ec. Not just the care and feeding of your family but knowing what you are feeding them.