Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Vintage Motel and Restaurant Signage

Alas, my scanner has died. I have stacks of vintage books sitting patiently, waiting to have their spines cracked in order to be shared with the world. Their spines will just have to remain intact for now and let photos do the talking.

vintage motel sign

I have a serious crush on vintage signs and typography. On my various travels around the west I’ve taken snapshots of some signs that are just totally lost in time. Unfortunately, most of them were taken from a moving vehicle, not the best method of getting a good photo. Lucky for me, I’m after the general shape and style of the sign than a beautiful shot.

vintage motel sign

This “checkmark and post” style is everywhere. I don’t know if it started out as a trademark for a single company or if it was just popular. Was Motor Lodge a company too, or just another word for motel? Dunno. The two signs above were within 2 blocks of each other.

Same style, different state. When I see these dynamic shapes I always wonder how I could incorporate them into my work.

vintage motel sign

I love the free-form blobby shape surrounding the trapezoid! I may have to design my business card like it.

vintage motel sign

I could see this shape as a business card or hang tag. I could even punch holes to simulate the lights.

vintage motel sign

We’ve seen this shape before! A little less flashy but just as dynamic. Hey, I wonder if I could make a booth banner that shape! Both eye-catching and directional.

vintage motel sign

Too bad this one is such a poor shot. Great font style and I love the stacked shapes.

vintage motel sign

This is a great example of efficient design. Two shapes, two colors, two fonts. Simple, bold and conveys frugality to the budget conscious traveler.

vintage motel sign

I love this sign and I wish I had a better shot. I adore the swirly “motel” shape and simple font. It wants to be a pillow, or an appliqué on something fun.

vintage motel sign

But why should motels have all the fun?

vintage restaurant sign

vintage car wash sign, Seattle

I suspect that this one is a reproduction, not truly vintage but I like it anyway.

retro sporting goods sign

I have many more but they are scattered across two hard drives and it’s getting more and more difficult to manage them!

I can’t wait to take another road trip and capture more lost-in-time signage!